Head of Credit Risk
- Manama, Capital Governorate, Bahrain
- Permanent, Full time
- 20 Aug 17
The job holder’s role is to: • Lead initiatives for development of methodologies for measurement of Credit Portfolio Management across the Group and associated models/ processes (along with Head of Regulatory Risk). • Develop and enhance the Credit Reporting & Monitoring framework which meets the requirements of various external & internal stakeholders. Ensure timely and accurate delivery of Credit Risk reports. Interpret the information and suggest actions for consideration by Senior Management
- Assist the Head of Risk Management/ Group Chief Credit & Risk Officer in carrying out the responsibilities pertaining to Board Risk Committee which includes preparation of the information pack and responding to data/ analytical requests from the Committee
- Assist the Head of Risk Management/ Group Chief Credit Officer in enhancement and review of Group Credit Policies & Standards in order to ensure that these reflect the best practice and regulate the risk assets of the group as directed by the Board
- Provide requirements and design inputs, particularly with regard to credit risk recognition, measurement and its reporting as part of the core team for implementation of key credit risk related projects (e.g. Credit Management System, IFRS 9 impairment)
- Lead enhancements to the Credit Measurement Framework; which include rating models (PD) and LGD/ EAD measurement jointly with Head of Regulatory Risk
- Maintain the current credit risk management systems; which includes Moody’ Risk Analyst (for credit rating), FERMAT GEM (limit/ exposure aggregation) and ACAS (for credit application processing)
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of information from these systems to the relevant stakeholders (which includes CBB, Rating Agencies and Senior management)
- Assist in preparation and presentation of the information pack for Board Risk Committee
- Contribute proactively to various risk related projects and initiatives owing to synergies (e.g. stress testing, IFRS 9 and ICAAP); especially on aspects pertaining to credit measurement and sourcing/ management of data for these initiatives
- Contribute to system implementation projects in the credit risk space (e.g. Credit Management System) by providing requirements and design inputs, particularly with regard to credit risk recognition and measurement.
- Assist the Group Chief Credit Officer/ Head of Risk Management in development and review of Group Credit Policy & Standards
- Ensure that sound credit risk measurement and monitoring frameworks are developed and implemented throughout the group in a standardized manner.
Areas of Knowledge / Experience
- Strong understanding of Credit analysis and policies.
- Good understanding of Risk Management principles.
- Good understanding of Basel III and evolving regulatory guidelines in this space
- Possess strong problem solving skills (hypothesis-driven thinking, analytical, quantitative, conceptual skills)
- Thorough understanding of the evolving practices for the management of credit risk and regulatory requirements
- Capable of professional discussions with internal and external stakeholders, for the geographies in which the Group operates.
- Managing system transitions smoothly
- Able to source data/ perform periodic computations
- Exposure to Limit/ Collateral system implementation/ management preferable
- Exposure to credit risk modelling is desirable
- At least 10 years of banking experience, with bulk of it being in the Credit Risk Management domain
- A degree in business administration in either of Finance, Business, Economics, Mathematics / Statistics
- Professional qualifications e.g. CFA/ FRM preferable
- Good time-management skills.
- Self-motivated and leadership attributes.
- People management and relationship skills.
- Good PC skills.
- Have a hands-on attitude and approach
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the flexibility to work across
The risk management frameworks must incorporate the developing industry practices and regulatory requirements and be tailored to the specific ABC group environment. The role of the department is expected to rapidly evolve over the next 18 months; with migration to a new Credit Management System (Implementation of which is underway) and roll-out of various initiatives (e.g. IFRS9, Stress Testing).