Distributed Systems Operations Lead
The Distributed Systems Operations Lead will support the hardware/software/network technologies production environment by pro-actively monitoring and quickly responding to hardware/software/network incidents for one or more technologies within the technical area of expertise. Provide day-to-day leadership and direction to a technology operations team (may be comprised of employees, contract personnel and/or vendor partner resources) dedicated to a portfolio of technical business applications and/or services. Provide troubleshooting and resolution to routine to complex problems. Responsibilities
- Perform moderately difficult and independent assignments in the troubleshooting, problem diagnosis, problem resolution and ongoing production support for one or more technologies within the technical area of expertise.
- Responsible for designing, reviewing, approving and deploying robust, stable and manageable solutions while minimizing hardware/software/network downtime.
- Periodically assist in the procurement, configuration, and integration of new technologies.
- Ensure the up time and response time SLAs/OLAs for services are met and or exceeded.
- Pro-actively monitor the stability and performance of various technologies within area of expertise and takes appropriate corrective action prior to an incident or problem occurring.
- Ensure patching and regular maintenance is performed as required.
- Coordinate efforts of support teams (internal and/or vendor) to drive service restoration targets. Liaise with technology teams to develop corrective action or workarounds to resolve incidents in an expeditious manner.
- Recommend, deploy and document strategies and solutions for software/hardware/network engineering problems/incidents based upon comprehensive and thoughtful analysis of business goals, objectives, requirements and existing technologies.
- Independently identify key issues, patterns and deviations during the analysis.
- Recommend robust solutions utilizing pragmatic judgement, creativity, and in-depth technical knowledge and evaluation that comprehensively meet the needs of the business.
- Provide oversight and leadership to a technology operations team (may include employees, contract personnel and/or vendor partners and their resources). Delegate work to ensure effective execution of team/function deliverables. Ensure knowledge transfer and cross-training of team members to effectively support the business.
- Manage effective relationships and works in partnership with leadership, team members, vendors, and contractors to deliver robust technical solutions ensuring that service level commitments and project time lines are maintained.
- Participate and provide input in the continual refinement of processes, policies and best practices to ensure the highest possible performance and availability of technologies.
- Participate in change management process and approve technology and service changes; ensure balance between business requests and impact/risk. Participate in transition of technology and services into production support.
- Create, maintain and update documentation of detailed design documents, diagrams, engineering specifications, build changes, models, troubleshooting and support guides, systems metrics and Standard Operating Procedures as required to ensure operational excellence.
- Continuously develop specialized knowledge and technical subject matter expertise by remaining apprised of Industry trends, the direction of emerging technologies, and their potential value to the business.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field; or equivalent work experience.
- 5-7 years proven application engineering/support experience with some combination of the following technologies: Java, .Net, SQL, Shell Scripting (bash), Windows Server, Exchange and/or Skype.
- 3-5 years of experience and subject matter expertise in the web and distributed computing environment with batch processing.
- 3-5 years of broad technical experience troubleshooting hardware issues for distributed and mainframe application systems.
- 2+ years of experience providing day-to-day oversight/supervision to a team of technical employees and/or vendor partner resources.
- Experience with batch processing.
- Ability to support working outside of normal business hours to provide after hour or "on-call" support when necessary to solve high profile incidents/problems.
- Highly innovative problem solver with strong analytical and customer service abilities required.
- Strong ability to communicate and articulate technical information across various organizational levels both in writing and verbally.
- High reasoning aptitude and ability to quickly understand complex operating environments.
- 3-5+ years of broad technical experience in several of the following areas: servers, networks, hardware, operating systems (Windows, UNIX, Solaris, Linux, AIX), middleware and related base build infrastructure and software. Experience and subject matter expertise in the web and distributed computing environment, as well as mainframe experience.
- Experience supporting mainframe systems.
- Experience/knowledge in monitoring/troubleshooting ETL processing such as Informatica Platform.
- Experience with monitoring and alerting systems, such as Gomez, SiteScope, Sumo Logic.
- Experience working with 3rd party vendors to troubleshoot and resolve issues with their systems.
- Experience supporting systems across different technology sets/platforms at the same time.
- Experience supporting Legal & Compliance systems, (i.e. Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Suitability, Anit-Fraud, Legal/Compliance Case Management, Advisor Supervision, Personal Trade surveillance).